Britax sun roof repair
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 415
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Britax sun roof repair
Has anyone here had dealings with repairing or sourcing parts for a Britax sunroof or done their own repair on any of the folding fabric type roofs ?
I removed the sliding fabric sunroof from my 1979 at the weekend as part of stripping the BGT back to bare metal, The sunroof's front and rear steel sections are a bit corroded and Im wondering if it's at all feasible to source replacements, if theres anyone who still makes these parts or if it's feasible to fabricate my own.
I remember someone recommended Bristol Sunroofs for spares but though their website was easy enough to find it doesnt look as though it's had an update for many years. Anyone know if they are still going ?
I removed the sliding fabric sunroof from my 1979 at the weekend as part of stripping the BGT back to bare metal, The sunroof's front and rear steel sections are a bit corroded and Im wondering if it's at all feasible to source replacements, if theres anyone who still makes these parts or if it's feasible to fabricate my own.
I remember someone recommended Bristol Sunroofs for spares but though their website was easy enough to find it doesnt look as though it's had an update for many years. Anyone know if they are still going ?
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
-
Vic Butler
- Posts: 812
- Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:07 pm
- Forename: Vic
- Surname: Butler
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: North West Hampshire
Re: Britax sun roof repair
Is there a telephone number? If so give them a call.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
-
David Gray 100
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:25 pm
- Forename: David
- Surname: Gray
- MGOC Member: Yes
Re: Britax sun roof repair
I'm pretty sure that there is no company manufacturing these parts, as I've been trying for spares etc myself. In the end I had to make some small clips myself. As for the front & rear header rails, if they are salvageable, then welding in a repair section is one answer. Otherwise, try hunting around for scrap parts (Andy Jennings MG Spares. 01489 790611) is my 'go to' for hard-to-find items.
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 415
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Re: Britax sun roof repair
Ive just sent it off to a company called Sunroof Refurbs in Chorley, Lancs I found this afternoon. They claim to be able to remake the front and rear steel sections of Britax roofs and seem to know their stuff. Ive decided Im doing so much work myself on the rest of the car that I dont mind subbing out the sunroof to an expert so long as the cost isnt unreasonable.
Also, sunroof is a bit of a dirty word in my house. I had a ghastly time with a 1970's Ford steel tilt and retract sunroof a few years ago,starting with the sunroof panel coming off its tracks and gaining a nasty gouge in the paint the first time i drove the car. The same happened a few weeks later after I thought I had fixed it and had it repainted. A careful look showed the panel itself may have had a slight warp so to avoid any more bother I sourced a good second hand one which was in better shape. The first repaint of the new panel went poorly due to a reaction with the underlying paint which only became obvious a week or two later after I started using the car again. I removed the panel again, stripped it to bare metal this time but though the paint at least stayed on I must have sprayed the metallic paint from a different distance or angle (or just badly ) as it was a less than perfect match to the rest of the car. Having decided that I'd just now have to put up with it the thing then surprised me by jamming open. It inevitably picked up a few scratches whilst I was trying to free it up and had to come out yet again.
Against that the simplicity of a fabric sliding roof on the BGT is far more of a known quantity as well as providing a much better sized opening in the top of the car too..
Also, sunroof is a bit of a dirty word in my house. I had a ghastly time with a 1970's Ford steel tilt and retract sunroof a few years ago,starting with the sunroof panel coming off its tracks and gaining a nasty gouge in the paint the first time i drove the car. The same happened a few weeks later after I thought I had fixed it and had it repainted. A careful look showed the panel itself may have had a slight warp so to avoid any more bother I sourced a good second hand one which was in better shape. The first repaint of the new panel went poorly due to a reaction with the underlying paint which only became obvious a week or two later after I started using the car again. I removed the panel again, stripped it to bare metal this time but though the paint at least stayed on I must have sprayed the metallic paint from a different distance or angle (or just badly ) as it was a less than perfect match to the rest of the car. Having decided that I'd just now have to put up with it the thing then surprised me by jamming open. It inevitably picked up a few scratches whilst I was trying to free it up and had to come out yet again.
Against that the simplicity of a fabric sliding roof on the BGT is far more of a known quantity as well as providing a much better sized opening in the top of the car too..
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 415
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Re: Britax sun roof repair
So heres a thought Id like your opinion on please
When I sent the sunroof off for repair I had just planned to have the front and rear steel sections repaired/ replaced and if the vinyl cover was too bad, to just replace it in black again.
The repairer confirmed the cover does need to be replaced, then asked what colour i'd like to go for and sent some photos of BGTs and other cars he had done with different coloured folding sunroofs. This certainly grabbed my attention especially those with matching vinyl roofs which I think bestows a very smooth look.
To set the scene for my 1979 RB BGT once the bodywork is finished; Damask red, with original grey 'deck chair' style fabric seats, it has grey powder coated LE wheels and body coloured RPS bumpers front and rear in place of the RBs.
So, should I go for a sunroof & matching vinyl in:
Dark red ? Dont laugh, its an option Ive been given but Im partially colour blind so Im unsure if this would hit or miss
Light/ mid grey ? Im thinking this could add some sophistication with the grey wheels and interior
pale blue ? Just different- & ok it could open up a market for the car to Aston Villa & West Ham fans
Black ? Tidy and it's usually my favourite colour for everything but am wondering if it may look a bit too heavy
Black but just the sunroof, no surrounding vinyl ? Reverting to how it was although I now realise it is my least favourite option
When I sent the sunroof off for repair I had just planned to have the front and rear steel sections repaired/ replaced and if the vinyl cover was too bad, to just replace it in black again.
The repairer confirmed the cover does need to be replaced, then asked what colour i'd like to go for and sent some photos of BGTs and other cars he had done with different coloured folding sunroofs. This certainly grabbed my attention especially those with matching vinyl roofs which I think bestows a very smooth look.
To set the scene for my 1979 RB BGT once the bodywork is finished; Damask red, with original grey 'deck chair' style fabric seats, it has grey powder coated LE wheels and body coloured RPS bumpers front and rear in place of the RBs.
So, should I go for a sunroof & matching vinyl in:
Dark red ? Dont laugh, its an option Ive been given but Im partially colour blind so Im unsure if this would hit or miss
Light/ mid grey ? Im thinking this could add some sophistication with the grey wheels and interior
pale blue ? Just different- & ok it could open up a market for the car to Aston Villa & West Ham fans
Black ? Tidy and it's usually my favourite colour for everything but am wondering if it may look a bit too heavy
Black but just the sunroof, no surrounding vinyl ? Reverting to how it was although I now realise it is my least favourite option
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
Re: Britax sun roof repair
I think maybe the grey to match the wheels and interior. But no vinyl on the roof surrounding it.
Those RPS bumpers are brilliant though. They make the car look so much better. I think it makes mine look like it has a smile
Those RPS bumpers are brilliant though. They make the car look so much better. I think it makes mine look like it has a smile
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 415
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Re: Britax sun roof repair
Yes, I have to say I do like the RPS bumpers. Im conscious they arent to everyone's taste but for me they tick all the boxes.
They reduce weight, both physical weight and visually
The car remains an RB rather than a conversion to CB. (No cutting of the front rails)
The front grille shape places it visually between a Sebring & MGRV8
Looks equally at home in black or in body colour
A sympathetic modification that some assume would have been a contemporary factory option.
They reduce weight, both physical weight and visually
The car remains an RB rather than a conversion to CB. (No cutting of the front rails)
The front grille shape places it visually between a Sebring & MGRV8
Looks equally at home in black or in body colour
A sympathetic modification that some assume would have been a contemporary factory option.
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 415
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Re: Britax sun roof repair
Well that was expensive. I was naively expecting to pay between £ 250 and £ 350 tops but it came to a not inconsiderable £ 663.
New sunroof cover
New front clamping cam
Repair kinked support stay
Remake front frame
Remake rear frame with captive nuts etc
replace nylon gliders
10x new stainless bolts for side rail fittings
section of matching black vinyl for a vinyl roof.
My original lining has cleaned up enough to be reused otherwise that would have been another £ 150
It does look tidier and good to know it will move freely and will keep the weather out. For that price though Im still wondering if I should have looked out for a 2nd hand GT solid roof and headliner.
New sunroof cover
New front clamping cam
Repair kinked support stay
Remake front frame
Remake rear frame with captive nuts etc
replace nylon gliders
10x new stainless bolts for side rail fittings
section of matching black vinyl for a vinyl roof.
My original lining has cleaned up enough to be reused otherwise that would have been another £ 150
It does look tidier and good to know it will move freely and will keep the weather out. For that price though Im still wondering if I should have looked out for a 2nd hand GT solid roof and headliner.
Last edited by Not_Anumber on Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
Re: Britax sun roof repair
I like my open tops, or large sunroof. So I’d have voted to keep it. A roof skin, fitting and painting would have been a similar if not more cost. And you have a nice desirable feature. 
Re: Britax sun roof repair
Ive just replaced my webasto lining, cost £175 just for lining but top notch replacement. What a fiddly job to do though, found the guy on ebay, very helpfull, does replacement tops as well, called 3mousemat.