Forum access issues

Forum operation support

Something not working? Getting an error message?
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Forum access issues

Post by Ian F »

It's a disappointing state of affairs, but I don't have an answer I'm afraid. I am also a member of the Land Rover Series 2 forum, extremely busy with lots of posts and replies every day.

I have noticed that when folk ask for advice on the MGB forum, in general the respondent never gets a thank you or an update on whether the problem has been solved.

I did advertised some old original MGBGT trim on the forum and have not had any responses. I also advertised it on the USA MG Experience forum and have had a response from someone in Scotland, not too far away from me!

The forum has a very low profile all round, what would help would be a permanent mention in Safety Fast!, listing recent topics on the forum ( would be a bit thin at the moment).

Surely Safety Fast! is the answer and could help? Perhaps the MGOC magazine could do the same?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Forum access issues

Post by Ian F »

Just thinking about this a little more this morning. I recall the Car Club used to have a forum for all MG models? This I think worked well but was dropped for some reason.

The other forums I am familiar with - Land Rover, Volvo, MG Experience, all cater for a wider range of vehicles than this forum, and so have more traffic.

Perhaps the answer might be to convince the Club to resurrect the general MG forum and then subsume the MGB forum into that?
There is no active MG Midget forum in the UK as far as I have found so that might be a bonus for Midget owners.

The elephant in the room of course is Facebook, and perhaps other social media. I don't do any social media so am a fortum user, but perhaps the days of internet forums are limited?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
User avatar
Bumpa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:58 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Forum access issues

Post by Bumpa »

There is a very active UK Midget/Sprite forum with daily postings, but not always Midget related or even politically correct. Find it here https://mg-cars.org.uk/cgi-bin/or17?run ... 7810101086
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Forum access issues

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Mike. I am aware of that forum and have been a member for many years. I have never found it to be very user friendly or useful, so discounted it as an option.
I have tried to buy and to sell there and had no success, similarly with any technical questions.
Maybe I am not using it properly or just been unlucky?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Forum access issues

Post by Ian F »

Just had another look at that forum and it does seem a little more active than I had previously found. But still not really my cup of tea!!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Post Reply