Fog light
Re: Fog light
The UK regs on rear fog lights state that there should be 100 mm minimum distance between the bulb of the fog light and the bulb of the brake light. I wonder if Allan's use of the reflector meets that requirement? Not that any MOT man is likely to quibble about it.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Re: Fog light
Wasn't there a reply from Allan here yesterday?
Perhaps I was dreaming?
Ian F
Perhaps I was dreaming?
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
- Bourne
- Posts: 38
- Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:24 am
- Forename: D
- Surname: Bourne
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Channel Islands (& UK South East)
Re: Fog light
There was. He responded to Mike /Bumpa’s point then talked about how his car had pasted MoT’s despite a modification he’d made.Ian F wrote: Tue Oct 07, 2025 9:48 am Wasn't there a reply from Allan here yesterday?
Perhaps I was dreaming?
Ian F
I can’t see the post either.
David Bourne
1974 MGB Tourer Mk.III
1974 MGB Tourer Mk.III
Re: Fog light
Very odd. Perhaps Allan was able to withdraw that posting?
Please let us know Allan!
Ian F
Please let us know Allan!
Ian F
Last edited by Ian F on Wed Oct 08, 2025 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
-
Allan T
- Posts: 122
- Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm
- Forename: Allan
- Surname: Titmuss
- MGCC Member: Yes
Re: Fog light
Apologies for the unintended mysterious ghost-post - I'd never heard about the 100mm rule Mike mentions, and was concerned about leading anyone into a life of mischief and wrong-doing!
Here's the history for your consideration.
I bought my MGB from a private seller in May 2000, and he kindly delivered it to an MG specialist garage who'd looked after my Midget for the previous twenty two years, for a service and a few changes. One ingenious item they added to the planned worklist was the rear fog lights. There were three qualified MOT testers at that garage including the man who added the lights, and the car was MOT'd before I drove it away a couple of weeks later. It had never crossed my mind til now the lights might not be legal. I stayed with that garage for a further seventeen years - thirty nine years in total.
Since the addition of the fog lights, to date the car has passed twenty five MOTs at four different Test Centres, with at least six different testers, with no mention of the 100mm.
I still think it's a very neat idea, and I'm happy the garage did it.
But it seems to be contrary to the regulations.
And are the views of an outlaw worth hearing?
Allan
Here's the history for your consideration.
I bought my MGB from a private seller in May 2000, and he kindly delivered it to an MG specialist garage who'd looked after my Midget for the previous twenty two years, for a service and a few changes. One ingenious item they added to the planned worklist was the rear fog lights. There were three qualified MOT testers at that garage including the man who added the lights, and the car was MOT'd before I drove it away a couple of weeks later. It had never crossed my mind til now the lights might not be legal. I stayed with that garage for a further seventeen years - thirty nine years in total.
Since the addition of the fog lights, to date the car has passed twenty five MOTs at four different Test Centres, with at least six different testers, with no mention of the 100mm.
I still think it's a very neat idea, and I'm happy the garage did it.
But it seems to be contrary to the regulations.
And are the views of an outlaw worth hearing?
Allan
Last edited by Allan T on Sun Oct 12, 2025 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Fog light
Thanks Allan.
I wonder if this may revolve around the fact that cars of this age don't need to have a rear fog light, and so it never gets to be part of the MoT test?
Always worth hearing from outlaws by the way!!
Ian F
I wonder if this may revolve around the fact that cars of this age don't need to have a rear fog light, and so it never gets to be part of the MoT test?
Always worth hearing from outlaws by the way!!
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Re: Fog light
It seems you're right Ian. I had always thought that if a fog lamp was fitted it must work and comply with the regs. But looking at the MOT inspector's handbook under the relevant section (1.3) it says:
This inspection applies to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980.
Sttrangely, in this handbook there is no mention of the distance from the stop light. I only saw that in The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 which are available on the web. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... chedule/11
This inspection applies to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980.
Sttrangely, in this handbook there is no mention of the distance from the stop light. I only saw that in The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 which are available on the web. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... chedule/11
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Re: Fog light
If you fit a light to the reflector position, does that not do away with the reflector?
-
Allan T
- Posts: 122
- Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm
- Forename: Allan
- Surname: Titmuss
- MGCC Member: Yes
Re: Fog light
It doesn't.Issug987 wrote: Fri Oct 17, 2025 6:03 pm If you fit a light to the reflector position, does that not do away with the reflector?
The reflector part of the lens reflects light falling on it from behind as before.
And transmits light from the LED or bulb inside.
Allan
Re: Fog light
Do you have a picture?