Complete Restoration - Garage Recommendations

General MGB discussion
Post Reply
PaulC
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2026 10:06 am
Forename: Paul
Surname: Calder
MGCC Member: Yes

Complete Restoration - Garage Recommendations

Post by PaulC »

Hi Everyone,
I'm the proud owner of a '74 MGB GT. I love it. It has only had 2 owners before me, one of whom had it for over 40 years and wished 'to be buried with it' such was her love of the car. It needs some TLC now though. There are mechanical and electrical issues and the sills are pretty rotten and I feel that there might be a whole lot of other trouble lurking underneath. It had been my plan to restore the car during retirement; I'm still trying to retire and it seems to be getting further and further away.
I'm a lover of Lambretta scooters. I've restored a few myself and had a few restored by various specialists over the last 20 years. The results have been very mixed indeed. I only trust one company now to work on my scooters.
I would like a top job done on my GT. The car is currently in London, but I don't mind where the work is done.
What company out there is the go-to for top-level MG restorations with a real personal touch? I realise the restoration won't be cheap and I could probably buy a restored car cheaper, but there are personal reasons for keeping this car. I'm looking for a factory resto more or less, but open to some tweaks. I'm not looking for a precious concours show-winner that I'm scared to get dirty. I've made that mistake with scooters. I would like a well-restored, rock solid car that I can use for many years to come.
Many thanks for your help. Cheers, Paul
PS: I tip my hat in respect to all the restorers out there who spend thousand of hours in their garages. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to be one of you.
User avatar
Steven collins
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:20 am
Forename: Steve
Surname: C
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: North Essex

Re: Complete Restoration - Garage Recommendations

Post by Steven collins »

If it is not too far for you I would recommend using Colne Classics,
B1 Seaden Court
Gorse Lane Industrial Estate
Clacton-On-Sea
CO15 4XN.
Simon’s work is second to none and over the years has carried out a lot of quality work for many MG Owners.
PaulC
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2026 10:06 am
Forename: Paul
Surname: Calder
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Complete Restoration - Garage Recommendations

Post by PaulC »

Many thanks for your reply, Steven.
This is exactly the type of company I would like to do the work.
Cheers, Paul
Post Reply