Hi,
I've recently had my Weber 45 dcoe refurbished, since I have put it back in the car doesn't want to start. I know that the carb works as the company that refurbished it sent me a video of it mounted to their test engine which was running.
There's petrol going to the carb although only a little bit of it in the filter at any one time.
After attempting to start the car, I checked the spark plugs which are dry. These are a new set. I haven't yet had a chance to check if there's spark going on them.
The carb needs tuning but I can't do that until I can warm up the engine which is a bit annoying.
I have attached a picture of my set up.
Any idea of what could be the problem?
Car not starting, is it the carburetor?
- Remyd
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
- Forename: Remy
- Surname: Dubois
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Buckingham
Car not starting, is it the carburetor?
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
1971 MGB GT
- Bourne
- Posts: 38
- Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:24 am
- Forename: D
- Surname: Bourne
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Channel Islands (& UK South East)
Re: Car not starting, is it the carburetor?
To clarify - the engine is turning over? If it isn’t, then the culprit is a non-working Starter Solenoid (or god forbid the engine is seized but let’s not go there)
From your description, I’m guessing the engine tries to turn over. The two things that stand out for me…
1) You’ve switched out the spark plugs. Have you thought of putting the old ones back in and seeing if the car starts. A quick way to rule out an issue with the spark plugs themselves. It at least narrows down the variables
2) A bit of fuel in the filter. That doesn’t seem right to me. I have a clear filter on my car and usually it looks full of petrol. If the photo you have there is after you’ve turned the fuel pump on and tried to start the car I’d expect that filter to be 7/8’s full.
After that, I’d be looking at the air flow. Removing and transporting the carbs might have done something that is preventing the right amount of air getting into the s6stem. Unfortunately I have no experience of Webber Carbs and wouldn’t want to send you down a wrong track by speculating
From your description, I’m guessing the engine tries to turn over. The two things that stand out for me…
1) You’ve switched out the spark plugs. Have you thought of putting the old ones back in and seeing if the car starts. A quick way to rule out an issue with the spark plugs themselves. It at least narrows down the variables
2) A bit of fuel in the filter. That doesn’t seem right to me. I have a clear filter on my car and usually it looks full of petrol. If the photo you have there is after you’ve turned the fuel pump on and tried to start the car I’d expect that filter to be 7/8’s full.
After that, I’d be looking at the air flow. Removing and transporting the carbs might have done something that is preventing the right amount of air getting into the s6stem. Unfortunately I have no experience of Webber Carbs and wouldn’t want to send you down a wrong track by speculating
David Bourne
1974 MGB Tourer Mk.III
1974 MGB Tourer Mk.III
- Remyd
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
- Forename: Remy
- Surname: Dubois
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Buckingham
Re: Car not starting, is it the carburetor?
Hi David,
The engine turns over, there's fuel going to the carburetor and in the float chamber, sparks on all the plugs. I noticed some fuel coming out of the air intake so I checked that the throttle plate were opened which they weren't. Opened them up a bit more but when I tried to start the car again, it was turning slowly and getting slower with every tries. The battery is showing over 12v on a multimeter out of the car. I am charging it tonight and will try again tomorrow to see how if that was the issue.
The engine turns over, there's fuel going to the carburetor and in the float chamber, sparks on all the plugs. I noticed some fuel coming out of the air intake so I checked that the throttle plate were opened which they weren't. Opened them up a bit more but when I tried to start the car again, it was turning slowly and getting slower with every tries. The battery is showing over 12v on a multimeter out of the car. I am charging it tonight and will try again tomorrow to see how if that was the issue.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
1971 MGB GT
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Re: Car not starting, is it the carburetor?
What happens when you spray Easy Start into the carb whilst someone turns the key and tries to start it. Does it run for a few seconds ?
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
- Remyd
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
- Forename: Remy
- Surname: Dubois
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Buckingham
Re: Car not starting, is it the carburetor?
The car had to go to a specialist as it was behind my skill and knowledge.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
1971 MGB GT
-
Not_Anumber
- Posts: 414
- Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am
- Forename: Chris
- Surname: S
- Location: UK
Re: Car not starting, is it the carburetor?
What did they say the problem was ? Is it now running nicely again
Last edited by Not_Anumber on Fri Mar 13, 2026 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 MGB GT
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
1999 Jaguar XKR
2003 MG TF
- Remyd
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
- Forename: Remy
- Surname: Dubois
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: Buckingham
Re: Car not starting, is it the carburetor?
I've got a Hardi 9912 fuel pump in the car, from what they say, this type of pump are low flow rate. The Weber carb is designed to run at a rate of 1.5 to 3psi with high flow rate. The pump has a high enough psi but the flow rate is too low causing the engine to stall as the carb only get about less than 1psi under load which causes the engine to stall.
The carb specification are a bit lower than what they should be but it shouldn't impact on too much for it to run properly.
I should hopefully be able to pick it up today!
The carb specification are a bit lower than what they should be but it shouldn't impact on too much for it to run properly.
I should hopefully be able to pick it up today!
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
1971 MGB GT