Page 2 of 3
Re: Engine Oil
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:55 pm
by Paul Hollingworth
It was 65p a gallon for 2* when I started driving. My 850 cc minivan went well on it. Thrashed it mercilessly but still did 40+ to the gallon. Always used Duckhams oil and changed every 3000 miles
Re: Engine Oil
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:26 pm
by David M B Leggeat
Paul,
I have been using Morris Golden Film Sports Classic 15w/50, recently. It has an API rating of SG.
I purchased 4x5 litres from a local oil distributor at cost of about £20 per 5 litres.
Regards,
David.
Re: Engine Oil
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:27 pm
by Paul Heffernan
I've been looking at options for engine oil and have found this thread most useful. I've found a product that seems to fit the bill at a reasonable price.
Am I on the right track here?
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-79227-mill ... e-oil.aspx
Thanks in advance.
Re: Engine Oil
Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:58 pm
by Vic Butler
Last September I bought a 25 litre drum of Morris classic 20/50 oil for £61.
The B series engine is a tough old piece of kit and probably not too fussy, somewhat crude though. At the moment I 've got a 20 litre drum of Castrol XL20/50 but I'll use the Morris' in the MG when the Castrol runs out. The Land Rover engine, another tough piece of kit (the petrol engine uses the same crankshaft as the diesel) will be on Morris' at the next oil change.
Re: Engine Oil
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm
by Paul Hollingworth
There was a big debate about this on the MG Enthusiasts forum. Lots of useful information here :-
https://www.classic-oils.net/Oils-by-Ap ... neral-base
It appears that the concentrations of the all important ZDDP are as follows :-
Morris's Golden film 700 parts per million
Castrol XL 800 ppm
Duckhams Q20/50 1100 ppm
I cant find it written down but another contributor reckoned that STP had 1900 ppm. We don't know what concentration is sufficient. Is having more better?
The cheap source of the Morris's is Telford Farm Machinery who have many branches in the Midlands, currently £11.75 for 5 litres :-
https://www.tfmsuperstore.co.uk/product ... 5-litre-2/
Paul Hunt on his excellent Bee and Vee pages recommends that we shouldn't use any oil more modern than the API SJ rating
www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/enginetext.htm#oils
Re: Engine Oil
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:17 pm
by Ian F
I think I would be a little nervous putting anything as low priced as £11.75 per 5 litres in my BGT. What are the retailers buying this for I wonder?
Either the main stream suppliers like Castrol and Duckhams are really exploiting us, or there is something very different about this oil.
Perhaps reclaimed oil, reprocessed and sold at a bargain price?
I really don't know, but I would love to!!
Ian F
Re: Engine Oil
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:37 pm
by Vic Butler
Last autumn I bought 25 litres of EP90 for £57.60 delivered from Rye Oils in Rye. I was told by a very respected Land Rover spares supplier that they use it and that by buying well known brands we are paying a fair whack for the name.
Re: Engine Oil
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:46 am
by Paul Hollingworth
Ian, it is an indication of how much we are being ripped off I'm afraid.
Morris are a reputable firm who have been manufacturing lubricants in Shrewsbury since 1869. Their recommended retail price for Golden Film 20W50 is £27.56 for 5 litres.
https://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/automotive/
Classic oils of Bicester say its their best seller at £19.95.
I am a big fan of Duckhams but I don't think I'm going to pay £30 for it.
Re: Engine Oil
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:51 am
by Ian F
Paul, seems incredible that it can be on sale for £11.75 when the RRP is £27.56!
I usually buy Castrol or Duckhams 20/50 in 20 litre containers - get it a little cheaper that way.
Ian F
Re: Engine Oil
Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:15 pm
by John Watson
Our - Your Marathon MGB is using the green stuff
Yesterday’s oil change flowing a replacement of the sump gasket.