Page 1 of 2

Repairing (screw) holes on a dashboard

Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:48 am
by Bourne
Hello there,

My MGB’s dashboard has some wood veneer panels on the Dashboard, similar to the packs you can still buy. According to the cars history they were added in 1980 at the same time as a number of other “upgrades” ( non-standard seats, change in colour [given my car was originally Harvest Gold, I’m okay with that change], holes in the boot bulkhead for speakers etc); and were attached with Philips screws drilled through the dashboard.

I have nothing against the wood veneer itself, but dislike the bare screws and overall prefer the original blank wrinkled dash look. Inevitably, however, if or when I remove the wood effect panels, I’m going to have a number of unsightly holes across the dashboard.

Is there a means / product for filling the holes that will blend with the wrinkle effect on the dashboard below? Or am I going to have to resort to removing and reconditioning / replacing the dashboard? (In MGB / car maintenance terms, I’m very much a beginner - so would prefer to avoid that one for now.) Any advice or tips from forum members will be gratefully received.

Thanks

David

Re: Repairing (screw) holes on a dashboard

Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:08 pm
by Ian F
I think your answer will depend on what the original dash looks like when you remove the wood. I suspect the wrinkle finish may be quite damaged, in which case getting it restored or replaced is your only option.

If you are fortunate and just have a few small holes, then they could be carefully filled with something like JB weld (epoxy) and then touched in with satin black paint and a fine brush.

It depends on exactly what standard you are looking for.

Ian F

Re: Repairing (screw) holes on a dashboard

Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:25 pm
by Bourne
It hadn’t crossed my mind that the veneer would be hiding further horrors beneath the surface. That would certainly be... umm... unfortunate.

Thanks for the lead on the epoxy. Definitely worth exploring as an option. As to your question on standards, I think it’s the current mismatch between ambition and current skill level, but there is only one way to learn. And I did buy the car in the first place to learn these skills

David

Re: Repairing (screw) holes on a dashboard

Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:02 pm
by Ian F
A good choice of classic, most parts are available (although some are of dubious quality, and it's often better to keep/ restore what you have than buy new). MGB's are straightforward to work on and there is much ready information and help available - just ask!!

Keep us up to date with progress,

Ian F

Re: Repairing (screw) holes on a dashboard

Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:27 am
by Bourne
Will definitely keep the forum / register informed. It will be a while though before I see what condition the dashboard is in (work commitments). But that does mean I have too much time on my hands to plan potential projects!

Which leads me to my follow up question...

Is there from the MG factory (or by an enthusiast) any schematics showing the measurements for the MGB Dashboard? That is technical drawings which show the dimensions of the dashboard, measure the curvature at the top and underside, and show the sizing of holes for switches and gauges? It’s probably mad and impossible, but if the Dashboard is damaged, I may have a cunning plan!

David (in full Baldrick mode)

Edited to correct crimes against grammar

Re: Repairing (screw) holes on a dashboard

Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:36 am
by Ian F
Nothing that I know of David, but such technical drawings may exist in the MGCC archive?

Ian F

Re: Repairing (screw) holes on a dashboard

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:36 am
by Bourne
Hello,

Just as an update (as per the ask earlier in the thread)…. I finally made it back to the UK and got an opportunity to take off the wood veneer. As Ian predicted, the Dashboard has incurred a degree of damage to the paintwork as you can see in the photos below (although far less then I was expecting).

BFA702E9-4E1E-4E65-ACAC-66CC64B51488.jpeg
9D1A8516-AD9A-4D58-9227-A2266D01DED1.jpeg
3C962957-D60E-49D2-AF7B-50C62DC761B8.jpeg
Mulling my next steps now, but my guess (very happy to be corrected) at this point is that the Dashboard would need to be removed in order to properly repair the paintwork.

My only question at this point is that the crinkle effect on the dashboard (such as it is) appears subdued compared to what I’ve seen on other cars in original or restored condition? Is it just that actually the damage to my dashboard is more extensive then it looks, or is it that the crinkle effect is overdone in some restorations?

Re: Repairing (screw) holes on a dashboard

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:14 pm
by Ian F
Hi David. Depending on what standards you are setting, I think that dash could be made presentable in situ.

The gauges are easily removed (care required with the temperature capillary) and certainly easier than taking out the whole dash. Then with filling the holes with epoxy, careful masking, you could respray with crinkle finish paint.

I have used crinkle finish paint myself, and have to confess with some difficulties. But It is possible to get a good result. What I found was that the crinkle effect from the paint is quite pronounced and very glossy, so you would loose that patina if that concerned you.

The good news is that if it didn't come up to your expectations then you are halfway to taking the dash out already! They can be refurbished professionally but I don't think they are available new. Much to be preferred over walnut though (in my opinion of course😊)!!

P.s. if removing the steering wheel take care. If it is of the collapsible or semi collapsible type you can easily destroy the collapsing component. Make up a puller to do the job, do NOT whack it with a BFH!!

Ian F

Re: Repairing (screw) holes on a dashboard

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:29 pm
by Bumpa
Removing the dashboard needs careful thought and planning. The top of the steering column is supported by the dashboard, so if it is removed there is nothing to support the column. I have made up a simple steel bracket to replace the dashboard support and keep the column where it ought to be (more or less), but until I can get that bracket in place I support the column on a tall axle stand on the floor of the car.

The rectangular holes on the glove box lid are where a chrome strip is supposed to be mounted. So don't fill those in if you want to reinstate the strip.

Re: Repairing (screw) holes on a dashboard

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:49 pm
by Not_Anumber
I'd be interested in the walnut pieces if they are still fairly intact David