I am in need of some engine parts. Looking round, there is a lot of variance in prices.
But as most stuff available is non genuine, I suspect most of it comes from the same places, and by my experience with other vehicles, a lot of it is carp, and made of the finest Chinesium.
Is there a favoured supplier ? Having said that, I don't want to pay tourist prices either.
Any thoughts ?
Engine parts suppliers.
Re: Engine parts suppliers.
Hi Graham. Many parts are poor quality as you say, County pistons for example are generally not well favoured by engine builders.
I think the answer depends on where you are, whether you are doing the work yourself, and your budget.
If you are in the Midlands I would recommend Peter Burgess in Alfreton (I think?). Peter builds B series engines better than most but may be willing to provide parts for a self-build. I have had parts from him, and obviously he will have access to everything you might need for a B series engine build.
When I did my engine I managed to obtain Nural pistons from Brown and Gammons, but I think their website only lists County.
If you have a reputable engine builder near to you it might be worth speaking to them. These people often have a wide knowledge of what's available and what to avoid.
As a final point, I would try and retain as much original stuff as can be made serviceable - often better quality material and better engineered. Get stuff rebuilt rather than buying newly manufactured. A couple of examples : a genuine rebuilt Lucas distributor will be better than a new "Lucas" one, and similarly with a dynamo, should you need one of those. Distributor Doctor does excellent rebuilds and components.
Ian F
I think the answer depends on where you are, whether you are doing the work yourself, and your budget.
If you are in the Midlands I would recommend Peter Burgess in Alfreton (I think?). Peter builds B series engines better than most but may be willing to provide parts for a self-build. I have had parts from him, and obviously he will have access to everything you might need for a B series engine build.
When I did my engine I managed to obtain Nural pistons from Brown and Gammons, but I think their website only lists County.
If you have a reputable engine builder near to you it might be worth speaking to them. These people often have a wide knowledge of what's available and what to avoid.
As a final point, I would try and retain as much original stuff as can be made serviceable - often better quality material and better engineered. Get stuff rebuilt rather than buying newly manufactured. A couple of examples : a genuine rebuilt Lucas distributor will be better than a new "Lucas" one, and similarly with a dynamo, should you need one of those. Distributor Doctor does excellent rebuilds and components.
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Re: Engine parts suppliers.
Thanks Ian
I am down in Kent so Mr. Burgess is quite a way away.
I am primarily concerned with the quality of camshafts and followers, as these seem to be problematic. Rover V8s are a prime example, almost impossible to get anything worth having at a sensible price.
As there appears to be no easy way to identify what camshaft one has, I thought I would replace them, so I know where I am.
Might throw a new set of piston rings at it too, but most of the specialists seem to sell anonymous white boxes, which won't do for me.
Not a great fan of King bearings either, but this appears to be all that is generally available
I am down in Kent so Mr. Burgess is quite a way away.
I am primarily concerned with the quality of camshafts and followers, as these seem to be problematic. Rover V8s are a prime example, almost impossible to get anything worth having at a sensible price.
As there appears to be no easy way to identify what camshaft one has, I thought I would replace them, so I know where I am.
Might throw a new set of piston rings at it too, but most of the specialists seem to sell anonymous white boxes, which won't do for me.
Not a great fan of King bearings either, but this appears to be all that is generally available