Classic car run

General MGB discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
Remyd
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Buckingham

Classic car run

Post by Remyd »

I am toying with the idea of organising a Classic car run near where I live around Halloween time. I haven't got any experience in doing this, hence why I am posting here, and was wondering if any of you have done this before.
I understand that finding a good venue for the start and finish is a must, the price would probably include a plaque, road book as well as a hot drink and breakfast bap at the start. The profit after cost would go to charity. Probably would cap it to 20 to 30 cars to start with.
A few points that I am unsure about:
How to make a Tulip book, is there any software or websites to do this?
Would I have to notify any motoring bodies of the run?
Where would i get the plaques from?
How far in advance would I need to advertise for it?
How to set up payments, do I need to create a bank account or use my personal one?
Anything else that anyone thinks should be considered would be helpful.

Remy
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Classic car run

Post by Ian F »

Remy,
here's my advice, other folk might differ in their opinion.

Organising a car run is quite a complicated thing with several pitfalls. Best not attempted if you are attempting this by yourself with no experience and no support.

Some of the issues:

# insurance. You may need to get cover from the MSA, in case of any mishaps. If you are not doing this in cooperation with the car club, are you willing to take personal responsibility for any mishaps and resulting claims?
# clearing this with the local constabulary, and possibly the local authority
# a lot of work rehearsing the route and drawing up tulip diagrams for the participants.
# organising refreshments, probably will mean making arrangements with places and ensuring they won't mind their car parks and premises being swamped by MGs!!

Seek some advice from your local centre or another car club if you want to go ahead.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Classic car run

Post by Ian F »

This might be useful:

"Inside Revolution: How To... Organise a Club Tour - Motorsport UK" https://www.motorsportuk.org/inside-rev ... club-tour/

In particular:

"How do you get a route approved?

The route should be submitted to the relevant Route Liaison Officer for comments and observations at least two months in advance of the event. A Waiver of Permit should also be obtained from Motorsport UK. "


Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
User avatar
Paul Scott
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:48 pm
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Classic car run

Post by Paul Scott »

Hi Remy,

The MGCC do list a document in the members area which might help https://www.mgcc.co.uk/members/road-run ... run-guide/

Have a chat with the guys at Winslow who do the Winslow Classic Car Run.

Or the people who do the Stilton Cheese Run they werevusing some free software that helped withbthe route. Not Tulip but it wasn't too bad. https://stiltoncheeserun.uk/how-to-enter/

Might be worth a look.

Where do you fancy going on your drive ?

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
User avatar
MikeD
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:50 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: Dixon
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: S Wiltshire

Re: Classic car run

Post by MikeD »

We run a scenic tour every year and I create the Tulip road book using Visio ( other drawing packages are available!) for the tulips themselves which are saved as .jpg and then inserted into the appropriate row in an Excel spreadsheet. I know this is how HERO do it for their events, and as far as I am aware there is no bespoke software - all you buy is a library of diagrams? I think it is better to create your own as you require them.

Simple turns apart it's amazing how different junctions can be, and I now have a library of diagrams running into hundreds. Deciding on and playing with the sizes of components/overall tulip and how you catalogue them before you start in earnest will pay benefits later - got that T shirt......

One tip - put in total distance and get the software to calculate the inters, it will not work adding up inters as you never get the total distance you want!
User avatar
MikeD
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:50 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: Dixon
MGCC Member: Yes
Location: S Wiltshire

Re: Classic car run

Post by MikeD »

Sorry one other thought - on some events ( Rally of the Tests, for example for transport legs ) Tulips are not used but are replaced by abbreviations at the given distance e.g:

T GW TR

HPL SP: Hexham

Xrds GW SO

Rbt 2nd Exit SP: Sedburgh


Good fun to use once you get the hang of them, I have a list if you want them but you can make your own up as long as you have a key at the beginning?
User avatar
Remyd
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Buckingham

Re: Classic car run

Post by Remyd »

Thank you to all, plenty to consider
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Post Reply