Carb rebulit

Technical MGB discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
Remyd
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Buckingham

Carb rebulit

Post by Remyd »

I just finished rebuilding twin SU HS4 for my MG, first time having a go. I think that they look ok but if anyone spots any errors please let me know.
I guess that I will have to take all apart again to fit it in as it looks like it would be a bit fiddly to try to fit the inlet manifold nuts with the carbs and heatshield on.
Any advice welcome as always

Remy
Finished Carb Front.jpg
Linkage Front.jpg
Attachments
FInished Carb Top.jpg
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Ian F
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:18 am
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Carb rebulit

Post by Ian F »

Hi Remy,

difficult to see all the linkages, but those air filters look very restrictive. What make are they?

A much better flow would be had with the K&N filter set up, designed specifically for the MGB. Fairly expensive but definitely worth fitting.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
User avatar
Remyd
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Buckingham

Re: Carb rebulit

Post by Remyd »

Hi Ian,
They are Tudor air filter
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
User avatar
Bumpa
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:58 am
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Carb rebulit

Post by Bumpa »

I think Ian is right. The problem is the depth (or lack of depth) of the filters. I reckon the standard filters would be better than those. I had K&N on my B (now sold) and they flowed so much air the carb needles needed changing to keep the mixture right.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
User avatar
Remyd
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:54 pm
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes
Location: Buckingham

Re: Carb rebulit

Post by Remyd »

OK, I'll have a look thanks
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Post Reply