Hi All, i've been offered a 1967 roadster that has been sat in a field for some 20 yrs plus, I believe that its only being held together by the vegetation that's covering it, I believe the present owner has a rust free bare shell that he shipped in from the states some years ago that's currently situated in a shed. I am planning on taking a look later this week but wanted to get some idea before hand as to its value ?
Thanks Neil.
whats it worth ?
-
Neil Wyman
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:08 pm
- Forename: Neil
- Surname: Wyman
- Location: Forest Of Dean. Gloucestershire.
- Peter Cresswell
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am
- Forename: Pete
- Surname: Cresswell
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Stone, Staffordshire
Re: whats it worth ?
Hi Neil,
There was a similar query a little while ago, so take a look at the replies to that.
See http://mgbforum.mgb-register.org/viewto ... ?f=3&t=224
In your case the sum of the shell and original car might add up to a complete car, but don't underestimate the cost of restoring the mechanical parts or the cost of replacing the interior trim. Take a look at a Moss catalogue for some idea of the costs. However a full restoration of an MGB totally outstrips its value, especially if you need professional help to do the restoration.
Using a secondhand shell for the rebuild is something of a grey area as far as the DVLA are concerned, but all the relevant tags and plates are held on by self tappers or pop rivets so can be 'transferred'. Life is slightly easier officially if the replacement shell is the same age as the original car, and both are the narrow tunnel MK1. Be prepared for a bit of a battle with the DVLA as the original car may not be on SORN if it has been laid up for over 20 years. Make sure you get all the documents for both the shell and the original UK car as you might need these!
There was a similar query a little while ago, so take a look at the replies to that.
See http://mgbforum.mgb-register.org/viewto ... ?f=3&t=224
In your case the sum of the shell and original car might add up to a complete car, but don't underestimate the cost of restoring the mechanical parts or the cost of replacing the interior trim. Take a look at a Moss catalogue for some idea of the costs. However a full restoration of an MGB totally outstrips its value, especially if you need professional help to do the restoration.
Using a secondhand shell for the rebuild is something of a grey area as far as the DVLA are concerned, but all the relevant tags and plates are held on by self tappers or pop rivets so can be 'transferred'. Life is slightly easier officially if the replacement shell is the same age as the original car, and both are the narrow tunnel MK1. Be prepared for a bit of a battle with the DVLA as the original car may not be on SORN if it has been laid up for over 20 years. Make sure you get all the documents for both the shell and the original UK car as you might need these!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
-
Neil Wyman
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:08 pm
- Forename: Neil
- Surname: Wyman
- Location: Forest Of Dean. Gloucestershire.
Re: whats it worth ?
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your comments, I think the best thing I can do is go and take a look, it could just be a case of using the car for parts providing they are usable, I believe it has an overdrive box which I could use for my mk 1 , I could also use the relevant parts if I decide to convert mine to rhd ? I suppose the replacement shell could be sold on if I don't decide to do it myself. I will let you know what I find but it will all come down to the money ! by the way I love the look of yours and am planning on a similar look myself once I start the project.
Thanks for your comments, I think the best thing I can do is go and take a look, it could just be a case of using the car for parts providing they are usable, I believe it has an overdrive box which I could use for my mk 1 , I could also use the relevant parts if I decide to convert mine to rhd ? I suppose the replacement shell could be sold on if I don't decide to do it myself. I will let you know what I find but it will all come down to the money ! by the way I love the look of yours and am planning on a similar look myself once I start the project.
- Peter Cresswell
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am
- Forename: Pete
- Surname: Cresswell
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Stone, Staffordshire
Re: whats it worth ?
Hi Neil
I'll send you a PM about your proposed project.
Nice to hear you like the look of a bumperless MGB! I've taken a lot of trouble to try and make it an 'easily reversible conversion', which I think I've mostly achieved. Perhaps one day I get round to writing it down! The front valance is a standard valance spaced out to be flush with the wings underneath the side light/indicators on the bottom of front wings. The rear one is a fibreglass rear flush fit valance cover commonly mistakenly called a rear Sebring valance, but all the pictures I have seen of Sebring roadsters they didn't bother with flush fit valances at the front or the rear! The rear one is actually a racing part and is normally glued on with modern automotive glue, but this didn't allow for reverting to bumpers. Mine is bolted on which was fiddly to achieve but worth the effort. I painted the front and rear with 2 pack aerosols which contain an 'air modifier' so the stay liquid in the can but harden on contact with the air. Much easier to get a good finish than acrylic paint. I learned a lot about the conversion from a chat with Gerry Brown (was the Brown in Brown and Gammons but now runs Merton Motorsort near Ipswich), so here is a picture of Gerry's car (which is FIA spec) on the 2011 Winter Challenge.
[attachment=0]IMG_7109[1].jpg[/attachment]
I'll send you a PM about your proposed project.
Nice to hear you like the look of a bumperless MGB! I've taken a lot of trouble to try and make it an 'easily reversible conversion', which I think I've mostly achieved. Perhaps one day I get round to writing it down! The front valance is a standard valance spaced out to be flush with the wings underneath the side light/indicators on the bottom of front wings. The rear one is a fibreglass rear flush fit valance cover commonly mistakenly called a rear Sebring valance, but all the pictures I have seen of Sebring roadsters they didn't bother with flush fit valances at the front or the rear! The rear one is actually a racing part and is normally glued on with modern automotive glue, but this didn't allow for reverting to bumpers. Mine is bolted on which was fiddly to achieve but worth the effort. I painted the front and rear with 2 pack aerosols which contain an 'air modifier' so the stay liquid in the can but harden on contact with the air. Much easier to get a good finish than acrylic paint. I learned a lot about the conversion from a chat with Gerry Brown (was the Brown in Brown and Gammons but now runs Merton Motorsort near Ipswich), so here is a picture of Gerry's car (which is FIA spec) on the 2011 Winter Challenge.
[attachment=0]IMG_7109[1].jpg[/attachment]
- Attachments
-
- Picture from the CRA Winter Challenge web site
- IMG_7109[1].jpg (152.22 KiB) Viewed 9659 times
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total