After fitting new springs all round - standard coils and parabolics - I have a small but annoying lean on the car.
Measured from wheel arch to wheel centre both drivers side figures (rh) are 1/2 " greater than the Nearside (lh). That doesn't sound much but it is noticeable when you know it's there and irritating, although handling is unaffected.
Any suggestions on how to fix or whether the car will settle in time would be appreciated. I've done about 1k miles since the work by the way.
list to port on a 74 GT
-
David Wicks
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:02 am
- Forename: David
- Surname: Wicks
- MGCC Member: Yes
Re: list to port on a 74 GT
Hi David, since none of the other gurus on this site have replied, I thought I should. But probably not very much help I suspect. You may be aware of the usual discrepancy in the offset of rear axles on MGBs (axle appears to be off centre when compared to the body), but it doesn't sound as if that's what you are talking about.
Was the B "all square" before you had the new springs fitted? If so, then clearly the springs are responsible. They will take a while to settle, and I understand parabolic springs are a good deal softer than the originals, so it may well be that any imbalance in weight in the B could cause a lean as you describe. I don't know much about these springs so someone else may have a better idea.
I would carefully check the body alignment as per the workshop manual if any doubts remain, or get the wheel alignment (4 wheels) done with laser measuring gear. That's what is really important I believe. To be frank, I wouldn't have too much concern if the body/wheels seem to check out OK and you have just this half inch mismatch between the sides.
Sorry I can't offer much more,
IanF.
Was the B "all square" before you had the new springs fitted? If so, then clearly the springs are responsible. They will take a while to settle, and I understand parabolic springs are a good deal softer than the originals, so it may well be that any imbalance in weight in the B could cause a lean as you describe. I don't know much about these springs so someone else may have a better idea.
I would carefully check the body alignment as per the workshop manual if any doubts remain, or get the wheel alignment (4 wheels) done with laser measuring gear. That's what is really important I believe. To be frank, I wouldn't have too much concern if the body/wheels seem to check out OK and you have just this half inch mismatch between the sides.
Sorry I can't offer much more,
IanF.
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, now sold
-
David Wicks
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:02 am
- Forename: David
- Surname: Wicks
- MGCC Member: Yes
Re: list to port on a 74 GT
Thanks for that Ian. The old front springs had sagged but no noticeable height mismatch on the car. The rear NS had definitely dropped but I put that down to worn shackle bushes as well as a tired spring. The new front springs showed a very minor free height mismatch on the bench but internet research suggested that this is quite common and does not translate into a difference in loaded height. The rear springs looked matched unloaded and I used new polly bushes and pads with new u bolts.
I did have 4 wheel alignment done earlier this year and all was within limits.
I guess I will have to wait a bit and see if it settles down - the ride and handling seem fine. I did consider swapping the springs from side to side to see what happens but I really want to drive the old girl right now, not launch a major fettling session.
Any other experience from other parabolic users or comments on current coil spring quality are very welcome.
I did have 4 wheel alignment done earlier this year and all was within limits.
I guess I will have to wait a bit and see if it settles down - the ride and handling seem fine. I did consider swapping the springs from side to side to see what happens but I really want to drive the old girl right now, not launch a major fettling session.
Any other experience from other parabolic users or comments on current coil spring quality are very welcome.