1968 BGT , I would like to change the front discs and pads
Any recommendations?
It has standard discs and pads fitted (a 10 year old set) I would like to get a bit of an improvement on the brakes without fitting a servo.
I fitted some standard ones to a Roadster the other year that squealed ever time you put your foot on the brakes and don’t want that again.
I would like to change the front discs and pads, upgrade?
- Peter Cresswell
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am
- Forename: Pete
- Surname: Cresswell
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Stone, Staffordshire
Re: I would like to change the front discs and pads, upgrade?
I use standard discs and initially I used EBC Green Stuff pads, but for the MGB V8. These fit the standard calipers and give about a 12% larger pad area. You don't need to fit the V8 brake assembly to use the V8 pads. However I wasn't that impressed with the Green Stuff pads and I discovered one of the calipers wasn't working as freely as it should. I changed to a pair of new calipers and new standard discs and fitted Mintex 1144 pads. When cold they squeal very badly but are great when hot or are used very positively giving a lot of bite and slow the car rapidly. The pedal pressure is quite high, but not so high to be a problem.
One thing to consider is not all brake discs are made from the same 'mix' of cast iron. A good guide is the price - the cheaper they are the less likely they are to work efficiently. I have been recommended that Brembro give good 'bite' but they can be hard to get for the MGB. They cost around £90 per pair compared to the OEM spec discs at around £35 per pair
Another point is a servo doesn't improve the brakes - it just lowers the pedal pressure.
I would suggest you try a set of standard V8 pads in your existing set up to see if that gives you the improvement you are looking for. After that you might be looking at some sort of compromise between pedal pressure, squealing and dust. I would be an idea to make sure that what you have is all working correctly, as many classic cars are not driven aggressively enough to justify semi competition pads such as Mintex 1144 or EBC Green Stuff.
One thing to consider is not all brake discs are made from the same 'mix' of cast iron. A good guide is the price - the cheaper they are the less likely they are to work efficiently. I have been recommended that Brembro give good 'bite' but they can be hard to get for the MGB. They cost around £90 per pair compared to the OEM spec discs at around £35 per pair
Another point is a servo doesn't improve the brakes - it just lowers the pedal pressure.
I would suggest you try a set of standard V8 pads in your existing set up to see if that gives you the improvement you are looking for. After that you might be looking at some sort of compromise between pedal pressure, squealing and dust. I would be an idea to make sure that what you have is all working correctly, as many classic cars are not driven aggressively enough to justify semi competition pads such as Mintex 1144 or EBC Green Stuff.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
- Peter Cresswell
- Posts: 763
- Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am
- Forename: Pete
- Surname: Cresswell
- MGCC Member: Yes
- Location: Stone, Staffordshire
Re: I would like to change the front discs and pads, upgrade?
Hi have just discovered you can buy Brembro discs for the MGB from here:
https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/mg/mgb-convertible/4894/10132/brake-disc?sort_supplier%5B0%5D=65
They are £48.80 per pair + delivery.
They also list Ferodo at £62.07 + delivery.
In both cases they are a solid disc and no grooves or cross drilling.
I might try some of these to see if they stop the squealing!
https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/mg/mgb-convertible/4894/10132/brake-disc?sort_supplier%5B0%5D=65
They are £48.80 per pair + delivery.
They also list Ferodo at £62.07 + delivery.
In both cases they are a solid disc and no grooves or cross drilling.
I might try some of these to see if they stop the squealing!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
1969 MGB Roadster
2024 MG 3 Hybrid+
40 cars since 1965
including 14 MGs in total
-
Vic Butler
- Posts: 812
- Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:07 pm
- Forename: Vic
- Surname: Butler
- MGCC Member: Yes
- MGOC Member: Yes
- Location: North West Hampshire
Re: I would like to change the front discs and pads, upgrade?
I bought a pair of grooved discs and standard Mintex pads from MGOC last year. The total cost was just under £100. I was advised that EBC pads were not suitable for normal road use.
I'd heard tales of squealing discs but this doesn't occur with mine. I have heard that changing calipers can cause squealing.
I'd heard tales of squealing discs but this doesn't occur with mine. I have heard that changing calipers can cause squealing.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine